Saturday, March 23, 2013

Wakodahatchee Wetlands

Wakodahatchee translated from the Seminole Indian language means "created waters". These 50 acres of wetlands with boardwalks were developed as part of a water reclamation program. Little islands or hammocks were created that have grown up with trees and serve as secure nesting sites for the birds. The water is also full of fish and alligators. My boy scout training failed me on this visit as both camera batteries totally discharged resulting in fewer pictures than I wanted, for you dear reader it may be a plus as you don't have to see as many bird pictures. Serious birders come here from all over lugging their heavy 10 to 20 thousand dollar cameras and lens, I feel like a piker with my little pocket camera, in my next life I'm going to get one of those big ones.


Proud Great Blue Heron with baby in nest


Green Heron with small fish it's bill


Black-Necked Stilt, very long legs, first time we've see one.


Handsome group of Black- Bellied Whistling-Ducks


Red winged Blackbird

And then the cameras went dead, missed out the rest of the 200 species there.

Location:Delray Beach

1 comment:

  1. You do such a great job with pictures. Sorry about the battery situation but the ones you got were great. Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete