Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Tumble weeds and prairie dogs

I asked the Colorado border info folks what would be the most scenic route through the state, they advised route 50 with some side trips off it. Our first stop for the night in Colorado was just west of Pueblo at an rv park. There were a number of folks at the park who stayed there permanently. As I walked around the park I stopped to talk to an old skinny bearded man working in his garden ( probably younger than me). Said he was a naturalist and he lectured on good nutrition, said he sometimes moves in with people who have health problems to get them back on track with proper eating. He then showed me a recently sprouted tumble weed plant. He said the tops are tender and just today he steamed a batch and had them for lunch. Tumble weeds grow into a round bush, dry up, break off and blow all over, never heard you could eat them. The next day I picked a piece, shook the ants off it and took a big bite, wasn't too tasty and I didn't feel too great the rest of the day, maybe I should have steamed it.

Prairie Dogs were popping up out of their dens all around the campground, my naturalist friend says they greatly reduce the number of cattle a rancher can graze on his land due to the damage they do to the grasses. Should have suggested he steam those critters and help out the ranchers.





Tumble weed shoots





Can you believe the bike shop wanted $375 for this bike, custom made I would guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment