Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I Got the Sheriff, song by that name?




Tuesday morning we left Layton and headed north to Wyoming. Thought about going to the Tetons and Yellowstone but have been there before, after arriving in Evanston decided to go to Flaming Gorge. We went down 414 through Mountain View, kind of a pause in the road. It had a 35mph speed limit and being the law abiding citizen that I am that's what I did, on exiting the town I picked up speed again, about a half mile out of town here comes the sheriff in a flashing pickup truck. Was informed that the last few feet in town I sped up to 50, here we go again, I seem to attract zealous lawman or as it turned out lawwoman. After many questions and inspection of my licence, insurance papers, and registration she decided to let me off, the day just got a little bit better, she was about 22 and must have felt sorry for an ol' man.

It was a beautiful drive to Flaming George, had a camp spot right near the water. There were antelope wandering all over the country side as well as at our camp site. This morning we left there and drove north up through Rock Springs, Lander, Riverton and have stopped for the night at Thermopolis. We enjoyed the scenery all the way, lots of antelope, the old Oregon Trail and just before Lander the Red Canyon. There are some interesting sites to see around Thermopolis and we may decided to spend another day here, depends on our joint mood in the morning. The picture with Nita on the Oregon trail shows the ruts left by the wagon wheels from 1870 to early 1900's, the Parting of the Ways is actually a few miles west of this point where the trail splits, one going to Utah and California and the other toward the right to Oregon.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe that there is still evidence of the Oregon Trail. You would think with wind and weather that it would be long gone. Pretty amazing.
    I'm glad you got to see Chris and Kathy, and the whole gang. So sad about the puppy mama. Kathy will want one of those puppies, don't know about Chris.
    I would have been able to help you get a good picture of those prairie dogs, I'm awesome at Whack-A-Mole!! You seem to be good too, I saw the picture you took.
    Awesome rainbow, it's always fun to see one, and more fun to capture it digitally.
    Seems like you are still enjoying yourselves and that you haven't hurt each other. Mark and I wouldn't last two weeks in the View!
    Happy Trails to you,
    Kariann

    ReplyDelete