Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Roseate Spoonbill, finally found one

While cruising around on the bike today I spotted a Roseate Spoonbill in a creek. I have been hoping to see one ever since we started the florida winter trips 5 years ago. Normally I have a camera in my pocket, but not this time. Rushed back to rv to get a camera and to my surprise the bird was still there when I returned. I followed him for about a quarter mile on the creek and took about 40 shots.

The spoonbill is a foraging bird that walks slowly while sweeping his bill side to side in shallow water. It has lots of colors, note the orange tail feathers. This is an adult and they have an average 50 inch wingspan. In flight you see the beautiful pink wings.


Nice bill


The spoonbill had a number of followers, the egret shown, several ducks and a little blue heron. It evidently stirs up the bottom so much the others feast on what the spoonbill doesn't get.


Working the bottom for food.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bird, and it's mom's favorite color. Did you feed it some Krispy Crackers?

    ReplyDelete